Friday, December 31, 2010

Lights in the Woods

Mom came to see me during Lights in the Woods, our winter fundraiser.  Miss Kathy hitches up the big draft horses to the wagon, and the girls get a little exercise hauling people around the farm while they sing songs and drink hot chocolate (the people, not the team!).  The guests always smile a lot, and stand in line to take a ride.  They come and visit me, afterward. The big Percherons and Belgians enjoy showing off in their dress harnesses and bells, too.  They like the crisp winter air and all the attention.

Mom wasn't interested in the lights, but she sure took lots of pictures of me and my friends.  After that, she sold hot chocolate and other yummy things to the humans (and snuck some to our cat friend, 24, who always mooches from her during these events, and to Faith the dog.  They're both lucky enough to be able to wander all around by themselves.  I'd mooch from mom too, if I could do that!  But mom always brings me treats anyway.  She loves me a lot.  Yesterday I got a cabbage heart.  Yum!

Anyway, here are some of our friends:


Last spring's doelings.  They sing for mom. 

Alfie sings too, but mostly for his supper.

One of my Toggenburg friends. What a show off.

Micah keeps an eye on things.

Here are the girls, waiting to get dressed for the evening.

"I know I'm beautiful!"

"So do I!"

Micah's puppy/ girlfriend, Faith.  I was the first Faith here, but we needed more.

Mom can't resist me.  This is my serious look.

That's silly Gopi in the middle.  She's a yearling calf, and kind of grouchy.

Baby Pumpkin still likes his chin scratched.  He begs mom for a good scratch like this!

So does Darla.  She makes lovie-eyes at mom, and gives her wet kisses.

Baby asked mom for attention, but was too lazy to get up. She's getting fat.

Doe looks like a deer in the headlight.  She's getting fat, too!

Isn't little Pumpkin cute?  He's bigger than we are now, and he was only born on November 2nd!

Of course, mom loves ME the best. You see my ear?  One of my goatfriends tore the clip out of it last summer.  Mom was mad, but she said it would heal, and it did.  Mom says, "NO MORE CLIPS!" I think it gives me a kind of dangerous look.  Mom said it adds character.  My friend Daisy has an ear like that, too.

Those cows don't like the snow much.  They were grouchy today.  That's Pumpkin's mom, Daisy on the right, and Candy on the left. You should see them chase pigs!

And last, but not least, Kathy's "million dollar cat".  She made an emergency trip to the vet when she was a few months old, because she had a belly full of kittens that she couldn't get out by herself.  Now she's fixed, like the rest of the cats on the farm.  I guess she was broken before.  One of our humans found her trapped in the barn wall when she was very tiny.  Mom says that she's accident prone. But she sure is beautiful.
Lights in the Woods is over this year, but you can visit me and my friends whenever you like.  We live at Flint Hill Farm, in Coopersburg.  You can read all about it here.  But for now, you'll have to excuse me.  It's New Year's Eve, and we're having a party here in the barn after the humans go to sleep.  I have to find my tiara. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. What awesome pictures Sandy!!! I'm so glad I found this-made my day! Thanks for putting all these pictures up. And I love the video of the draft horses coming up.

    ReplyDelete